Leslie Middle school (5-8)
williamston community schools
8th Grade US History Teacher Teacher, Williamston Middle School Fall 2017- 2021
- Leadership: PBIS Team, Department Chair, Building Leadership Team, Principal Transition.
- Initiated a Parent Involvement Plan for Williamston Middle School, collaborating with all stakeholders.
- Led a grant to create a 8th grade History project engaging students in their community and utilizing blended learning.
- Developed new elective for WMS 21st Century Sports with a blend of new media & technology. READ MORE
Behavior Intervention Specialist, Williamston Middle School Fall 2013 - Spring 2017
Assists the Middle School Principal in creating, implementing, and monitoring systems for positive support and behavioral interventions for students.
Coordinator of PBIS and RTP. Led Professional Development of PBIS, classroom management, and behavioral procedures to WMS staff. Serve on the Building Leadership Team ensuring School Improvement Plan goals are attained. Effectively manage Office Behavior Referrals & Suspensions. Mentor teachers with classroom management skills. Facilitate the Behavior Response Team to provide Tier II and III supports. Management of external interventions with Williamston Police Department, Lansing Teen Court, Ingham County Truancy Court, Child & Family Charities.
- Initiated planned discussions with students to build inter and intrapersonal skills
- Significantly reduced the amount of office referrals through consistent classroom management of Responsible Thinking Process.
- Analysis of behavior data to assess areas of intervention that has led to positive learning climate
- Consistent parent communication for positive recognition and code of conduct violations.
- Full engagement in the school day leading to strong relationships, fluid communication and feedback
- Partnered with the Lansing Teen Court as an Alternatives to Discipline for major school violations reducing loss of instructional time
- Led collaboration & creation of K-8 common language of “Expected Behavior Matrix” in school areas, 2016-17
- Effective partnerships with Williamston Police Department ensuring safety and positive community rapport
- Invited to lead professional development at Mason Middle School on the Responsible Thinking Process, Fall 2014
Administrative experience within role:
- Seamlessly and safely managed code of conduct violations weapons, drugs, violence in absence of principal
- Determination of appropriate suspension and expulsion for major Code of Conduct violations
- Coordinated Emergency Response Plans and Drills with school, local & county law enforcement
- Participated in monthly Ingham County Assistant Principal meetings hosted at Ingham ISD
Social Studies Teacher, Williamston High School 2007-2013, 2016 -2017
Plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program that fosters a positive learning environment. Execute lesson plans that guide and encourage students to fulfill their academic potential. Work with department chair to create cohesive instruction.
Taught wide range of social studies courses including Advanced Placement courses: U.S. Government & Politics and Comparative Government & Politics, Civics, World History,
- Selected to study the history and culture of South Africa through MSU–Fulbright Teaching program
- Established Advanced Placement Government & Politics Courses, 2008,2009
- Lead Coordinator for WHS to bring the Court to School with 55th District Court Judges, Ingham County Sheriff Department, Williamston Police Department, Spring 2009
- Established a partnership with the Lansing Teen Court in restorative justice program, 2007-2013 providing students with an experiential learning opportunity bi-annually.
- Leadership: Building representative for WEA/WCS contract negotiations, History Department Co-Chair, Spring 2012-13, School Leadership Team.
Quitman County School District
Special Education Teacher, Madison Shannon Palmer High School Fall 2003 - May 2005
2003 Teach For America Corps Member, a highly selective, national organization carrying out the mission to enlist, develop, and mobilize as many of our nation's most promising future leaders to grow and strengthen the movement for educational equity and excellence. Committed to the vision that: “One day, all children in this country will receive an excellent education.”
Placed in the Mississippi Delta Corps. Taught Special Education Employment English on a 2-year emergency license. Created, implemented and modified lessons to meet the needs of diverse learners per Mississippi Occupational Diploma standards. Prepared students to attain their GED, placed students in vocational courses and advocated to mainstream students into the general education setting, where appropriate.
- Special Education Chair. Managed entire school caseload of 80 + students
- Actively participated in monthly, weekend professional development days through Teach For America
- Planned and taught a course based on Jonathan Kozol’s Death at an Early Age, intended to assist teachers with difficult situations in the school environment for Teach for America professional development day